Where to go out - Rio de Janeiro Nightlife
• Garota de Ipanema – Rua Vinícius de Moraes 49, Ipanema
This is the very spot where Ipanema was placed on the world map: from here Jobin and Moraes allegedly saw a girl walking to the beach each day, which inspired them to write ‘
The Girl from Ipanema’. Yes, the bar is touristy, but hey… almost a compulsory Rio stop!
• Academia da Cachaça – Rua Conde de Bernardotte 26, Leblon
This is a batida and
caipirinhalaboratory; at a large outdoor terrace you can examine the extensive cocktail menu with hundreds of drinks, before sampling a few...
• Espelunca Chic – Rua Bolivar 17A, Copacabana
An unpretentious watering hole with a hotchpotch of locals and tourists.
• Cosmopolita – Travessa do Mosqueira 4, Lapa
One of the oldest
bars in Rio de Janeiro(which is shown by the dated furniture), but still a nice authentic place to while away a few hours over a drink.
• Amarelinho – Praça Floriano 55, Centro (Cinelândia)
Great terraced place for having a drink in the late afternoon, after you finished shopping and sightseeing and the locals finished working.
• Herr Brauer – Rua Barão do Flamengo 35, Flamengo
Small bar for all your homesick beers in Rio de Janeiro.
• Vinícius – Rua Vinícius de Moraes 39, Ipanema
Next-door neighbour of Garota de Ipanema. Cheerful club with live bossa nova until the wee hours.
• Bip-Bip – Rua Almirante Gonçalves 50, Copacabana
Small bar which turns at night into one of the most infamous spots for
live music in Rio de Janeiro. Expect to stand/ dance outside at the sidewalk.
• Canecão – Av Venceslau Brás 215, Botafogo
Large concert hall used by a number of famous Brazilian artists.
• Circo Voador – Rua dos Arcos, Lapa
A cultural centre in the back of the famous arcs of Lapa with a variety of cultural activities on offer. Checkout the live music program, which varies from rock to funk, from reggae to samba.
• Carioca da Gema – Rua Mem de Sá, Lapa
Very busy place, especially in the weekends, with live music and a cheerful crowd.
• Rio Scenarium – Rua do Lavradio 20, Centro
Popular among Rio de Janeiro tourists, and rightly so. This is an odd mishmash of a lovely antique shop and a dance club. From three storeys you can overlook the dance floor at ground level where samba tunes are played.
• Club Melt – Rua Rita Ludolf 47, Leblon
Just the place you would expect in upscale Leblon: a trendy epicentre for ‘beautiful people’ with a restaurant/ lounge area downstairs and a dance area upstairs (DJs and live music).
• 00 – Av Padre Leonel Franca 240 (pronunciation: Zero Zero), Gávea (Close to Leblon)
After cleaning the dinner dishes, this restaurant in the Gávea planetarium turns into a ultra-hip half open-air lounge
• Baronneti – Rua Barão da Torre 354, Ipanema
'To See and to be Seen', that is Baronneti’s motto, with a young toffed up clientele, dancing on house and hip hop tunes played by its renowned resident DJs.
• Nossa SemHora – Av Nossa Senhora de Copacabana 1144, Copacabana
Bearing a name which sounds as just another church, in fact this is a large Rio de Janeiro dance club with an odd mix of retro and contemporary décor. Music is also a hotchpotch of pop, hip hop and Brazilian favourites.
• Fosfobox – Rua Siqueira Campos 143, Copacabana
This place is more than in one way ‘underground’: it is in a basement but also a Rio frontrunner in alternative nightlife. Performance art and a wide range of music styles attracts a very blended crowd.
• Casa da Matriz – Rua Henrique de Novaes 107, Botafogo
This artsy club for a more casual crowd is housed in a large Rio de Janeiro mansion. The rooms all have different themes with different tunes.