Brazil can hoist the Blue Flag!
By Frans van Hees | www.AboutBrasil.com | Week 42, October 2015
Rio de Janeiro — Next summer season, which runs from December 2015 to February 2016,
Brazil is allowed to mark no less than five new places with the Blue Flag.
2015/2016: Five New Blue Flag destinations in Brazil
Blue Flag is an international environmental award which is awarded annually to beaches, marinas and lagoonsthat score above average on
safety, quality and environmental management.
In total there are now nine locations in Brazil which received the environmental award 'Blue Flag', including several beaches, and for the first time also two lagoons.
Bathing water quality and lifeguards
If a beach, lagoon or marina wants to
qualify for a Blue Flag, the site must meet all kinds of conditions.
For instance, the beach cannot be polluted with waste and sewage and sufficient waste bins should be located.
In addition, it must have excellent quality of bathing water and lifeguards must be present. Moreover, the beach must have good hygienic sanitation.
Lagoa do Peri, new Blue Flag lagoon Brazil
Praia do Remanso, new Blue Flag beach Brazil
Preservation of natural beauty
Brazilian Ministry of Tourism is delighted with the five new Blue Flag beaches and lagoons.
"Tourism is good for the economy and it creates a lot of jobs, but it must never be at the expense of the environment.
We should cherish the natural beauty of Brazil, so that these sustainable destinations remain accessible for tourists," says Henrique Alves, the Brazilian Minister of Tourism.
"We are very pleased with the new certifications. In this way the program becomes better known in Brazil. In addition, Brazil has a huge coastline and a huge biodiversity. This makes the country a potential leader in the field of environmental certification," adds Leana Bernardi, National Coordinator of the Blue Flag program.
All Blue Flag beaches, lagoons and marinas in Brazil - Season 2015/2016:
- Praia do Tombo, Guarujá (Sao Paulo state)
- Marinas Nacionais, Guarujá (Sao Paulo state)
- Prainha, Rio de Janeiro (Rio de Janeiro state)
- Marina Costabella, Angra dos Reis (Rio de Janeiro state)
- Praia do Remanso, Rio das Ostras (Rio de Janeiro state) - NEW
- Lagoa do Iriry, Rio das Ostras (Rio de Janeiro state) - NEW
- Praia de Palmas, Governador Celso Ramos (Santa Catarina state) - NEW
- Lagoa do Peri, Florianopolis (Santa Catarina state) - NEW
- Praia de Ponta de Nossa Senhora do Guadalupe, Salvador (Bahia state) – NEW